Regimental 2ic

The Regiment was by this time commanded by Lt Col M J Woollcombe, DSO, OBE.After taking your desires into account, consulting with the staff, weighing your strengths and what I believe is best for the Corps, I made my decision.They were not in the Kowloon/Hong Kong area, seen here, but in the North of the New Territories at Sek Kong.These are: Photographers - Sgt Bishop and Sgt Schmakies Social Media - MCpl Fabon Recruiting - MCpl Frizzell and MCpl King MCpl Taggart remains the Corps videographer Again, congrats to everyone.The camp was astride this operational airstrip at Sek Kong in the New Territories close to the Chinese Border. On 27 July Sir Anthony Eden, working in overt co-operation with the French Government and in covert co-operation with Israel, ordered preparation for intervention.These are duties that take place around their regular duties.Meantime the Seventh were established in Catterick as the RAC Training Regiment.As noted in the previous Chapter the Seventh had been sent to the Chinese mainland in November 1951.The UK bowed to American-led World pressure to halt “Operation Muskateer”.It was an interesting introduction to crisis management! Naval gunfire was effective, Royal Marine commandos were landed by helicopter and the combined force quickly reached their initial objectives within the Port Said complex. Sadly the order to halt was given before the leading elements reached Ismailiya.In the early hours of 1 June 1953, while it was still cool and before the newly-laid surface warmed up, 7 RTR moved across Route Tun Wan - Sek Kong (TWISK) to take part in the Coronation Parade in Kowloon. As the Regiment climbs out of the Sek Kong valley over Route TWISK we could look back on our base. They were trained to operate LVT Mk IIIs similar to the Buffalo used by 4 RTR for the Rhine Crossing.The occasional typhoon enlivened life and there was a short and unexpected burst of excitement for two officers of the regiment in early 1954... New, embarked on the Empire Windrush in February to return to the UK ahead of the Regiment's deployment to Catterick in September. At 0415 hrs on 6 November Captain Berry and his LVT Troop swam ashore at Port Said carrying 40 and 42 Cdo RM.

The author swam in shantung silk pyjamas without a life jacket ! As they moved into the town the LVTs began to take casualties among the marines and the LVT crews. Twenty minutes later C Sqn 6 RTR (Major John Jolly) came ashore.Sir Anthony Eden resigned and the troops returned somewhat deflated to their UK tasks.It was a hard decision where to place people as we had so many strong candidates.The camp was just a collection of Nissen huts The regiment regularly undertook border patrols and there was much opportunity for challenging adventure training, but operationally it was an entirely uneventful two year deployment; the contrast was especially enjoyed by members of C Sqn who had so recently been heavily engaged in the Korean war. Captain Peter Berry, 7 RTR, together with a 32-man team, was ordered to report within 12 hours to the School of Amphibious Warfare where they were to form No 1 Landing Vehicle Troop RAC.The Regiment's 2IC, Major (later Lt Col) R G Saunders and his family together with a junior subaltern, 2/Lt L. At 0617 on 27 March, thirty two miles North West of Algiers, there was a massive fuel fire in the engine room and by 0700 ten of the ships twenty two life boats were already destroyed or had to be pushed overboard because there was no power to lower them. It was an opposed landing but Egyptian machine gun nests were quickly silenced.

© 2016